Thursday, January 10, 2008

The first week is almost over...

Carol's contact, Kate Williams, left New York today for Los Angeles. She gets to interview Rachel Bilson who is going to be the cover of our spring issue. I would love to sit down and talk with someone like Rachel. She seems like a fun and interesting person. Maybe I'll transcribe the interview next week, shutting my eyes and imagining that I'm there, too.

Today seemed to be the day all of the interns at NYLON worked. The office was filled with people who were busy, busy, busy. And I....had nothing to do. I had finished transcribing Kate's interview with Jason Crombie, the editor of the new zine, "Wooooo," which is in the style of a paper back book that is full of interviews with interesting people, and realized that Kate had left for L.A. this morning giving me nothing to do. She had simply told me to ask people around the office if they needed any help, but I don't think they knew what to do with me. I spent most of the day fact checking some articles. One was about this new band who call themselves "Cut off your hands" (that's not morbid at all...) and Diego Luna who is in a new Spanish film this spring as well as directing a film, (the article called "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights" a bad movie roll choice--I loved that movie!). I was happy with myself to find some incorrect spelling of names, but I still feel like I haven't done anything "journalistic," (is that a word?). The other day the staff had an editorial meeting and they didn't even invite me to sit in on it. The editorial staff is as nice as can be, but I know they see me as an insignificant intern who is only staying for two weeks, but it would be nice if they let me experience the "real-NYLON."

The hostel is fun, minus the mouse that we saw dashing around the lounge area last night. Haha. The girls and I are having a blast. It's like freshman year in college all over again. Tomorrow night we are seeing "Hairspray" at the Neil Simon theater. It should be tons of fun.

Is everyone still wanting to go to the Back Page on Saturday night and try and get some old KU Alumni men to buy us hot ladies some drinks!? :)

Gina

No comments: